Resources and Forms
These forms are for F-1 and J-1 international students (and their F-2 and J-2 dependents living in the United States).
Most forms can now be submitted online through the RGlobal portal.
Extension of Program +
If you will not complete your degree requirements and graduate by the end date noted on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must request an extension before this document expires. Please review the procedure on our Extension of Program page. This request is submitted online.
Reduced Credit/Course Load Authorization +
Rutgers F-1 and J-1 students are required to hold a minimum full-time course load (when applicable). Undergraduate degree-seeking students must hold 12 credits, while graduate degree-seeking students must hold nine credits. Non-degree, short-term students are usually required to be involved in classroom or hands-on training about 30 hours per week, although the requirements vary.
You will need to submit a Reduced Credit Load request via the RGlobal portal. Your Academic Dean/Graduate Program Director or Registrar (for RBHS students) will need to provide electronic certification.
Note: Students applying for reduced credit based on medical reasons should submit the Reduced Credit Load for Medical Reasons e-form.
Employment (On-Campus, OPT, CPT, and Academic Training) +
Please review our On-Campus Employment page for instructions.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Please review our CPT page for instructions. This request is submitted entirely online.
Students in the PharmD program should also complete the Preceptor’s Certification for Curricular Practice Training (CPT) Authorization
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Please review our OPT page for instructions. This request is submitted entirely online.
OPT Data Update e-Form via the RGlobal portal
STEM OPT Extension
Please review our STEM OPT Extension page for instructions.
OPT Data Update e-Form via the RGlobal portal
J-1 Academic Training
Please review our J-1 Academic Training page for instructions. This request is submitted entirely online.
J-1 Economic Hardship
Taxes and Social Security +
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Forms
RBHS-Newark procedure to obtain a SSN:
Obtain an RBHS- Newark Offer of Employment (for RBHS- Newark students) from an RBHS department. The letter must be signed by the employee's supervisor.
Obtain a letter from a Designated School Official at the ISSS office verifying employment eligibility.
Student Interns +
Travel Information +
Leaving Rutgers +
All students departing Rutgers are required to complete one of the following forms:
Request to Close SEVIS Record and End Rutgers' Visa Sponsorship
If you fail to submit this form, it can negatively impact you if you stay in the United States or if you wish to come back to the United States in the future.
Transfer Out via the RGlobal portal
This form is required from all students who want to transfer their visa sponsorship/SEVIS record to a different school or from undergraduate to graduate at Rutgers. Please see more information about transferring out here.
Temporary Absence from the U.S. While Maintaining Registration
Required of all students who want to maintain their legal status while being out of the country for an extended period of time. Please see more information about research or study abroad here and submit request online through the RGlobal portal.
Request to Add an F-2/J-2 Dependent via the RGlobal Portal
Dependent Request To Close SEVIS Record and End Rutgers' Visa Sponsorship
For those that want to request their dependent to be removed from their SEVIS record.
Miscellaneous Information and Data (academic, funds, address change) +
International Student Adviser's Report for Graduate Students
For current F-1 students looking to transfer to Rutgers to pursue graduate work (including undergraduates becoming graduates or graduate students transferring from one Rutgers campus to another)
International Student Adviser's Report for Undergraduate Students
For current F-1 undergraduate students looking to transfer to Rutgers or for F-1 high school students looking to enter Rutgers as undergraduate students
USCIS Forms +
Form used to update USCIS on U.S. address changes
Form used by those subject to Special Registration to update USCIS on U.S. address changes
Form used by non-immigrants to apply for a new or replacement Form I-94 or I-95 nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure document
Anyone who is employed in the U.S. is required to fill this form and submit it to their employer
Form used to request changes from one nonimmigrant category to another and used by F-1 non-immigrants seeking reinstatement of status
This is the application for employment authorization to request optional practical training
Express Mail +
When requesting documents from Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services we will send them to you by regular mail free of charge (overseas mail takes approximately 4-6 weeks or longer). Express mail services are available at your own expense. Our office uses an express mail service eShipGlobal to coordinate the mailing. Please complete the following steps to request this service.
- Complete the required fields at eShipGlobal international student/scholar sign-up and then click on “Register."
- Complete the sign-up form. You will need to be prepared with the following:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- After registration, an activation email will be sent to your email. Click on the activation link from your email and then click on “Student Login” in the top right-hand corner.
- Login to UEMS by entering your email and password that you registered an account with. Select "Receive Documents From University" or the appropriate “Document Icon” to have your university send you documents.
- Enter “Rutgers University–New Brunswick Campus” in the University Search, or select New Jersey from the state map or state dropdown.
- Select “Intl Students and Scholar Services” from the Department List. This will ensure your shipping label is received by our office. All of your information (and your university's information) will be filled in already.
- Select “Continue” after confirming your mailing address (U.S. or foreign), phone number, and email address.
- Select your shipping carrier and transit time of choice between FedEx, UPS, or DHL.
- Select your method of payment (Credit/Debit Card, Wire Transfer or PayPal). Pay close attention to the information submitted on these screens, as errors in the credit card information or submitting incorrect or incomplete address information will result in a delay in the mailing of your documents.
- You and your university will receive a notification confirming this shipment request. Please inform your international student adviser by email when you have completed the request, so we can mail out your documents.
If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the Help link in the site for step-by-step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other inquiries related to your legal status, please email email@example.com.