Resources and Forms
These forms are for F-1 and J-1 international students (and their F-2 and J-2 dependents living in the United States).
Extension of Program Forms +
If you will not complete your degree requirements and graduate by the end date noted on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must request an extension before this document expires.
Reduced Enrollment Authorization +
Rutgers F-1 and J-1 students are required to hold a minimum full-time course load (when applicable). Undergraduate degree-seeking students must hold 12 credits, while graduate degree-seeking students must hold nine credits. Nondegree, short-term students are usually required to be involved in classroom or hands-on training about 30 hours per week, although the requirements vary. These forms will give you proper authorization to take less credits if needed.
Reduced Credit/Course Load Form for Students in the Mason Gross School of the Arts
Due to special academic conditions, only students in the Mason Gross School of the Arts should use this form to apply for reduced credit authorization. The form must be signed by a graduate program director or academic dean.
Employment (OPT, CPT, and Academic Training) +
- On-Campus Job Confirmation Letter for SSN Applicants for F-1 & J-1 Students
- Employment Verification and Payroll Form for J-1 Students
All J-1 students working on campus are required to have this form completed for each new job with original signatures of the employing unit and an office staff member. This form is given out only by Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services staff during an On-Campus Employment workshop; you may not begin work until this is signed and recorded by our office.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Preceptor’s Certification for Curricular Practice Training (CPT) Authorization
For students applying for CPT and enrolled in the PharmD degree
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Request for 24 Month STEM OPT Form
- Preparing Your STEM OPT Application: A Tutorial
- STEM OPT Application Checklist
- OPT Data Update e-Form via the RGlobal portal
For information on your reporting requirements, please review carefully the Optional Practical Training information.
J-1 Academic Training
J-1 Economic Hardship
Taxes and Social Security +
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Forms
Student Interns +
Travel Information +
Leaving Rutgers +
All students departing Rutgers are required to complete one of the following forms:
Request to Close SEVIS Record and End Rutgers' Visa Sponsorship
If you fail to submit this form, it can negatively impact you if you stay in the United States or if you wish to come back to the United States in the future.
This form is required from all students who want to transfer their visa sponsorship/SEVIS record to a different school or from undergraduate to graduate at Rutgers.
Temporary Absence from the U.S. While Maintaining Registration
Required of all students who want to maintain their legal status while being out of the country for an extended period of time.
Dependent Request To Close SEVIS Record and End Rutgers' Visa Sponsorship
For those that want to request their dependent to be removed from their SEVIS record.
Miscellaneous Information and Data (academic, funds, address change) +
International Student Adviser's Report for Graduate Students
For current F-1 students looking to transfer to Rutgers to pursue graduate work (including undergraduates becoming graduates or graduate students transferring from one Rutgers campus to another)
International Student Adviser's Report for Undergraduate Students
For current F-1 undergraduate students looking to transfer to Rutgers or for F-1 high school students looking to enter Rutgers as undergraduate students
USCIS Forms +
Form used to update USCIS on U.S. address changes
Form used by those subject to Special Registration to update USCIS on U.S. address changes
Form used by non-immigrants to apply for a new or replacement Form I-94 or I-95 nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure document
Anyone who is employed in the U.S. is required to fill this form and submit it to their employer
Form used to request changes from one nonimmigrant category to another and used by F-1 non-immigrants seeking reinstatement of status
This is the application for employment authorization to request optional practical training
Express Mail +
When requesting documents from Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services we will send them to you by regular mail free of charge (overseas mail takes approximately 4-6 weeks or longer). Express mail services are available at your own expense. Our office uses an express mail service eShipGlobal to coordinate the mailing. Please complete the following steps to request this service.
- Visit the eShipGlobal website, viewed best with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers.
- Complete the registration form. You will need to be prepared with the following:
- Your RUID
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Credit card information
- Choose Department/Contact "Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services" as the sender
- After registering, within 30 minutes you will receive an email requesting that you activate your account. This is required for you to begin using the account.
- Follow the instruction in the email you receive to activate your account. Once the activation process is complete, you will receive another email confirming this fact.
- Prepare the shipping label: for this step you must have already activated your account. Select "Receive a Package From Universities," then New Jersey from the map of the United States, next Rutgers University and finally Rutgers Global. This will ensure your shipping label is received by our office. Once you get to this step, you will need to have your mailing address (U.S. or foreign), phone number and email address.
- At the end of the screen, you should select ship/quote. You will receive a quote and have the option to choose your carrier FedEx, UPS, or DHL. At this stage, you will also be able to select your method of payment (i.e. credit card or wire transfer). Please pay close attention to the information submitted on these screens, as errors in the credit card information or submitting incorrect or incomplete address information will result in a delay in the mailing of your documents.
- The final email you receive from eShipGlobal will be confirmation of your order. This email will provide you with detailed information about your shipment (i.e. payment amount, tracking number, mailing address, etc.). Please inform your international student adviser by email when you have completed the request, so we can mail out your documents.
If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the Help link in the site for step-by-step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail email@example.com. For all other inquiries related to your legal status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.