Academic Training for J-1 Students

J-1 students may be authorized to participate in Academic Training (AT) for a total of 18 months (AT may be authorized for 36 months for postdoctoral researches), but not for a period exceeding the amount of time the student has been in the J-1 program in the United States. The AT must be directly related to the student's field of study and must be authorized by the program sponsor in writing before a student is permitted to commence employment. AT is authorized for a specific job; it is not 'blanket' work permission in one's field of study. To apply for AT, students are required to meet with their international student adviser and must complete a Certification of J-1 Academic Training form, a letter and information from your prospective employer, and others.

Attend a Workshop >