All students requesting travel signatures will be required to complete the Travel Signature Request e-form. Please note that we will not be providing travel signatures during walk-ins. Plan accordingly.

Getting a travel signature is easy. Follow these simple steps.

STEP 1Make sure you need a new travel signature

  • International students in F-1 or J-1 status must get a travel signature on their I-20 or DS-2019 if returning to complete their studies after a trip abroad.

  • Each travel signature is valid for one year. If the signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 will be more than a year old by the time you reenter the US, you need to get a new signature before you travel. 

  • Incoming students or students who have completed their studies and will not return to Rutgers do not need a travel signature.

  • For students on post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), the travel signature is only valid for six months. 

STEP 2 – Complete the Travel Signature Request Form on the RGlobal Portal
The form will also give additional instructions if you are away from Rutgers and need a friend to pick-up your document or if you need you document mailed to you. If you are already abroad, and need an updated travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019, please submit the Travel Signature Request Form and also contact an international student adviser as soon as possible to let them know about your situation. 

STEP 3 – Follow email instructions for getting the travel signature; pick-up or delivery of your I-20/DS-2019. You will be issued a new I-20/DS-2019 with a travel signature.
Your document will be ready within 2 business days. Be sure to keep all your previous I-20s/DS-2019s safely.

Did you depart from the US without getting your I-20 or DS-2019 signed? Did you lose or forget to bring your I-20 or DS-2019 with you? Do you not have enough time to request a travel signature and receive your documents by mail?

If any of the above situations apply to you, follow these steps. 

STEP 1 - Check your I-20/DS-2019 if you have it with you. You may still have a valid signature.
If you do not, continue to step 2.

STEP 2 - Request a Form I-515A at the US port of entry.

If you do not have enough time to receive a travel signature and a new I-20/DS-2019 before traveling back to the US, respectfully request that the immigration officer allow you to enter with Form I-515A. This gives you a thirty-day admission as an F-1 or J-1 student, and requires you to report to ISSS within that time frame to secure the required travel signature.

To qualify for the Form I-515A, you must have a valid passport, valid F-1 or J-1 visa, and your I-20 or DS-2019 (the officer may allow you to enter without your I-20 or DS-2019 at his/her discretion).