International Student Orientation
Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services conducts a comprehensive orientation for new international students every fall and spring semester. This mandatory orientation helps incoming international students adjust to life in the United States and at Rutgers. At orientation, students become familiar with their new surroundings and are told about available opportunities and resources on and off campus. New students also meet other new and returning students, learning from their experiences and making new friends. Want to see more campus resources, like where to find computer labs or get an RUID card? See our Student Information Hub.
- Fall 2018 Orientation: Begins Monday, August 27, 2018, 9:00 a.m. (College Avenue Gym)
Detailed Program Schedules will be available on this page closer to the program dates. The following links to our past programs can provide you an idea of the structure and content of the program.
- Fall 2017 International Undergraduate Student Orientation Program >
- Fall 2017 International Graduate Student Orientation Program >
- Fall 2017 International RBHS Student Orientation Program >
Highlights of the orientation include:
- Moving into your residence hall for students who live on campus
- Fulfilling your immigration-related reporting obligations and verifying your travel documents
- Learning about the rights and responsibilities of non-immigrant students
- Meeting other new students at various social events
- Learning about academic and social life in the U.S.
- Learning about the campus and local community
- Shopping for basic supplies
- Obtaining permission to work on-campus and applying for a U.S. social security number, if needed (fall orientation)
- Meeting with your academic advisers (fall orientation)
- Pre-Orientation Activities for Graduate Students (fall orientation)
- Parent and Family Orientation (fall orientation)
Mandatory Check-In and Document Verification
This is a legal requirement of your F-1 or J-1 status, and your status will not be legally activated until you have successfully completed this process. Use your Rutgers NetID and password to login to your RGLOBAL account and complete your data through the check-in form (available under “Orientation” in the RGlobal portal). You can also begin to fill out the check-in form using the information and documents you have available to you before you arrive in the United States. Save a draft of the form and complete the form immediately after your arrival and before the start of classes.
You will be asked to upload scans or photos of your passport biographical page, visa page, your I-20/DS-2019, and I-94. If you are on campus, you will have access to multiple Rutgers computer labs.The easiest way to upload these documents is to take a clear picture of them with your phone and email it to yourself. We will host check-in support sessions every day during orientation, so please check the program for times and locations.
You will receive notification via email once your form has been processed and approved.
For detailed instructions, please review the RGlobal Check-in Tutorial >
Pre-Orientation Activities (Fall Orientation ONLY)
- See Past Pre-Orientation Graduate Students Activities Schedule >
- Vendor Fair: meet various banks, cell phone companies, local markets, etc.
International Parent and Family Orientation (Fall Orientation ONLY)
In addition to attending our International Parent and Family Orientation, we also invite you to get involved with the Rutgers Parent & Family Association, a helpful and informative resource for all parents and family members of Rutgers students.