Dependents (spouses and children under 21 years of age) can accompany international students to Rutgers and the United States by obtaining an F-2 or J-2 visa. If the international student is coming to Rutgers on an F-1 visa, you and your children will apply for F-2 visas; if the international student is coming to Rutgers on a J-1 visa, you and your children will need to apply for J-2 visas. Gather the necessary materials below to obtain an appropriate visa document (I-20 or DS-2019) that you will need to apply for your visa and submit these to the Center for Global Services.
- Complete the Request for Dependent Visa Document form
- Submit copies of your dependens' passport
- Submit proof of funding along with the Certification of Funds
- Dependent document fee(s) (paid by check or money order only)
- Proof of adequate health insurance for dependent(s)
Once these materials have been received, you will be issued an I-20 (for F-2 visas) or DS-2019 (for J-2 visas) within two weeks. Then you must:
- Apply for an F-2 or J-2 visa stamp at the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate in your country. Canadian citizens and Aruban citizens do not need to apply for a visa. Gain F-2 or J-2 status through entry to the United States by presenting the dependent DS-2019, passport, and F-2 or J-2 visa stamp (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the U.S. port of entry.
- You may also apply with USCIS to request a change of status in the United States instead—please discuss this with an international student adviser for more details.