International Student Fees

As an international student at Rutgers, you will be charged certain fees that are specific to your legal status (F-1 or J-1). See below to learn what they are and how to pay them.

Student Fees


What is it?
If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, you will have to pay the SEVIS fee to the US government. Currently, the SEVIS fee is $200 for F-1 students and $180 for J-1 students. Please note starting 6/24/2019, the SEVIS fee for F-1 students will be $350 and for J-1 students will be $220. When you pay the fee, be sure to print payment confirmation and keep it with your other immigration documents.

When to pay it
You are responsible for paying this fee once you get a new I-20 or DS-2019 from us and at least three business days before you apply for your F-1 or J-1 visa. If you are Canadian, you'll have to pay the fee at least three business days prior to entering the United States as an F-1 or J-1 student.

Who doesn't have to pay it
You won't have to pay the fee if:

  • You transferred your SEVIS record from another university
  • You need to apply for a new visa later on in your studies. You only need to pay the fee again if you are issued a brand new SEVIS record and your SEVIS ID number (the "N00…" number on your I-20 or DS-2019) is different.
  • Your visa/status is sponsored by an agency other than Rutgers (e.g. Fulbright, VEF etc.). Be sure to check with the organization issuing your DS-2019 to confirm if you have the fee waived.
  • You are an F-2 or J-2 dependent.

International Student Fee (ISF) +

What is it?
As an international student in F-1 or J-1 status at Rutgers, you will be charged the International Student Fee (ISF) of $250 per semester, for each semester you are enrolled at Rutgers. This fee is part of the cost of attending Rutgers and is applied towards maintaining services for international students. For more information, see the Office of Student Account, Billing, and Cashiering website.

When to pay it
All F-1 and J-1 registered students will be automatically charged the ISF every fall and spring semester. You will see it on your Rutgers term bill and can pay it when you are paying your fees for the semester.

Who doesn't have to pay it
Rutgers TA/GAs and Fellows
Rutgers TAs/GAs and fellows are exempt from paying the fee. However, you will see the fee on term bills and must specifically ask for a removal of the fee at the time you submit the RT-100 to Rutgers Student Accounting. RBHS Fellows can show their offer letter regarding their stipend from their department instead of the RT-100 to Student Accounting.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are a Rutgers TA/GA or fellow and you do not specifically request a removal of the fee when submitting your RT-100/Fellowship letter (for RBHS students) to Rutgers Student Accounting, you will be billed for the ISF—you will be refunded this fee ONLY in the same semester as the erroneous billing. An ISF payment will not be refunded retroactively for a previous semester. Download the RT-100 form for Graduate and Teaching Assistants [PDF]

Change of Status
If you change your status and become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must contact us. We will need to see proof of your new status in the U.S. and will need to close your SEVIS record and update your information in institutional records. You will then no longer be responsible for paying the fee. For any questions about this fee, please contact Susan Maldonado, SEVIS compliance administrator, Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services, at

Do dependents pay the fee?
F-2 and J-2 dependents pay the one-time-only ISF of $50 for a spouse and $25 per child. The fee must be paid by the primary F-1/J-1 visa holder at time of requesting the I-20/DS-2019 for each dependent. If you obtained the F-2/J-2 dependent documents from the admissions office as part of your admission to Rutgers, you will need to pay the dependent ISF when you arrive on-campus with your dependent(s) at  Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services, 180 College Avenue.

How is the ISF fee calculated for short-tern programs?
The International Student Fee for our short-term programs are calculated based on the length of program