Preparing for International Travel


When planning to travel to the United States, it is important to be prepared and learn what to expect at a U.S. port of entry. Whether this will be your first time entering, or you are returning to continue your studies, review this information to get ready:

  • Do not travel to the United States more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 if you are a new student or returning student who received an I-20 or DS-2019 with a new SEVIS ID number.

  • Pack required documents. Put your passport with valid F-1 or J-1 visa and your I-20 or DS-2019 in your carry-on bag; you will not have access to your checked luggage before you cross immigration.

  • Present your passport with valid F-1 or J-1 visa and your I-20 or DS-2019 to an immigration officer.

  • Students on post-completion or STEM OPT must also present a valid EAD card.

  • At the time of entry to the United States, your passport must be valid for six months beyond the period of your intended stay (i.e. program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019), unless your country is exempt from this requirement. You can also read more about this on the CBP site here

  • Carry other recommended documents in your carry-on bag (and only present them if asked):

    • Admissions letter (for new students)
    • SEVIS I-901 fee receipt
    • Your complete unofficial transcript and Enrollment Verification to prove good academic standing (for continuing students)
    • Current proof of funding
    • All previously-issued I-20 or DS-2019 forms
    • If needing to apply for a new F-1 or J-1 visa before returning to the U.S., a recently-updated I-20 or DS-2019 issued to you within the 6 months prior to your application for a new visa
    • If your field of study or research is technology or science-related, we recommend you get a letter (on letterhead) from your supervisor, department chair, center director or graduate program director. The letter should explain as much about your program of study and research as possible in simple language.
  • After re-entering the United States, remember to check your I-94 and entry stamp for F-1 or J-1 and D/S.

If you are pulled aside for additional questioning while being processed by Customs and Border Protection:
  • Be sure to treat the officer with respect.

  • It is advisable not to sign any papers – other than those that are clearly routine, such as a customs declaration form -- that you are given without first speaking to an attorney. Depending on what you sign, it could complicate future entry into the United States.

  • If you are detained, or are asked to sign something prior to being released, ask if you may make a phone call. Please note that you may not be allowed to do so, but you should be sure to ask.

  • If you are permitted to make a call, call your US-based attorney (if you have one)

  • You can call or email the Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services during office hours (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.)  

         Rutgers–New Brunswick and RBHS (New Brunswick) Students: 848-932-7015;  

         Rutgers–RBHS (Newark) Students: 973-972-6138; 

  • Outside of regular working hours call the Rutgers Police at 732-932-7211 (New Brunswick) or 973-972-4491 (RBHS Newark).

  • Keep these contact details on a printed piece of paper. You may not have access to your phone if you are sent to a secondary inspection area.

Traveling Out of the US

When traveling outside the United States, F-1 and J-1 visa holders must have in their possession the following documentation to ensure their ability to re-enter the U.S. and resume their activities:

  • Passport valid at least six months beyond re-entry date

  • Valid U.S. visa in the appropriate classification, e.g., F-1, J-1, H-1B, etc.

  • Valid immigration document for the status being sought: I-20 or DS-2019 with travel signature from Rutgers Global - ISSS. Note that you need a valid travel signature when you return to the US, not when you are leaving. However, it is good to have it in advance in preparation for your travel. 

      We understand emergencies happen and situations may arise that require you to take an unplanned break from campus or from your academic work. If an emergency requires you to travel outside of the United States, contact an academic dean or your graduate program director and an international student adviser about the situation before leaving the United States. Visit our Leave of Absence or Withdrawal and Returning to Rutgers pages to find out how this may impact your legal status and how to prepare for your return.

      Report International Travel to ISSS

      Now more than ever, it is important for ISSS to understand the current location and international travel of our students in order to best assist you in maintaining your F-1/J-1 status. Any time you have international travel planned (departing and/or entering the U.S.) we ask that you report this to us via the International Travel Plans e-form in the RGlobal portal (found under Travel & Location Information). This e-form is for informative purposes only, so you may submit it with recent international travel plans as needed in advance, at the time of travel, or after. It is separate from the existing Travel Signature e-form.

      More Information and Reminders
      • Update your address, email, and phone number on the MyRutgers portal (in the local address section)
      • Review visa application information if you need to apply for a new visa before returning
      • If you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands for 30 days or less, you may be eligible for Automatic Revalidation
      • Check visa requirements and entry procedures for the country you are traveling to, if you are not visiting your home country, and ensure you have required documentation before departing the United States.
      • Review information about preparing to enter the United States and gather all recommended documents
      • Review our Rutgers Global Alerts page for updated travel alerts, especially regarding presidential executive orders impacting travel
      • If you will be conducting research outside of the United States or participating in a study abroad program, please visit our Doing Research or Study Abroad page for more information.
      Useful Travel Resources for International Students