On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 international students sponsored by Rutgers have permission to work on-campus while pursuing their studies and maintaining their legal status. However, international students must obtain an International Payroll Form from Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services to give to their on-campus employer before beginning work; this form is available only to students who attend the On-Campus Employment Workshop. In addition, J-1 students must report all on-campus employment to the international student and scholar services office at Rutgers Global. J-1 students must complete the Employment Verification and Payroll Form for J-1 Students to update their SEVIS records for each employment opportunity and may bring this form to the On-Campus Employment Workshop.

See Workshop Schedule >

Examples of on-campus employment at Rutgers include:

Graduate and teaching assistantships


Employment with a department, office, or unit at Rutgers

Employment with an outside company located on campus that provides direct services to students (such as a fast food establishment or bookstore)

If you are unsure if a position qualifies as on-campus employment, please consult with an international student adviser Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services before accepting employment.

On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session but may be unlimited during official vacation periods.

Authorization for on-campus employment for F-1 students is automatically terminated once a student completes his or her degree requirements. On-campus employment for J-1 students is only authorized during the time stated on the Employment Verification and Payroll Form for J-1 Students. A new on-campus employment authorization is required every time a J-1 student changes, adds, or extends a job on campus.