Economic Hardship Employment
Students who can document severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond your control may be eligible for permission to work off campus.
Examples of severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control may include:
- loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student,
- substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate,
- inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs,
- unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support,
- medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses.
The links below provide general information about off-campus employment authorization based on economic circumstances available to F-1 and J-1 students. In all cases, students must make an appointment to meet with an international student adviser for more information regarding determination of eligibility and application procedures.