Students Transferring into Rutgers- New Brunswick
Welcome to Rutgers! If you are already on F-1 or J-1 status, you must complete a transfer of your immigration sponsorship before beginning at Rutgers. Follow the steps below to transfer your immigration sponsorship/SEVIS record to us.
Step 1: APPLY - Apply to Rutgers through either the Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions office, the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions, or the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) Admissions office. Inform the admissions office that you are an international student, and will need either an I-20 (for F-1 status) or a DS-2019 (for J-1 status).
- Non-Degree Students: To transfer to Rutgers as non-degree student, follow Steps 2 through 5 below and also contact Carissa McCarthy at email@example.com.
- Current Undergraduate Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden Students: ISSS (New Brunswick) will issue your “Transfer Pending” I-20 once you are admitted to the New Brunswick campus. Please instead follow the Rutgers Internal SEVIS Transfer Process (click here).
- Current Joint-Program Students: For students in the Graduate School–New Brunswick (including any umbrella programs with RBHS), OR students at Camden/Newark in the School of Graduate Studies, ISSS will issue your I-20 or DS-2019 once you are admitted through the specific program. Contact ISSSfirstname.lastname@example.org (for New Brunswick programs) or email@example.com (RBHS programs) for further assistance.
Step 2: SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS - After being admitted to Rutgers, you must show your proof of financial support (see Certification of Funds) and the International/Foreign Student Adviser’s Report.
Please find the appropriate International/Foreign Student Adviser’s Report below:
You are eligible for transfer after submitting these documents to the correct admissions office.
For RBHS students:
- Submit this online form for our office to create a new international profile for you in our international student record database.
- Once you receive an email confirmation that your international profile is ready, submit the Request for Initial I-20 e-form group via the RGlobal portal.
- The advisor at your current school will need to complete a Transfer-In e-form for us. Once you submit the Immigration History e-form in the Request for Initial I-20 e-form group, they will receive an email with login credentials to complete this form.
Step 3: TRANSFER OUT - Request your current international services office to transfer your SEVIS record to Rutgers. Please be sure to provide the correct name of the school and campus that you will attend at Rutgers.
- Current/Graduating Rutgers Undergraduate Students: If been admitted to a graduate program at Rutgers, please refer to our Transferring Out of Rutgers page.
- Current OPT/STEM OPT Students: If been admitted to a graduate program at Rutgers, please refer to our Transferring Out of Rutgers page.
Step 4: DOCUMENTS - You will receive an I-20 or DS-2019 from the Rutgers Admissions office (New Brunswick programs), ISSS, or RBHS (for RBHS programs). The form should say "Transfer Pending" for F-1 students.
Step 5: CHECK- IN - After receiving your new Rutgers I-20 or DS-2019, you must complete an online check-in process in the RGLOBAL portal before classes begin. Failure to check in with ISSS and to register for a full course of study will terminate your immigration status.