Extension of Program

If you will not complete your degree requirements and graduate by the end date noted on your Form I-20/DS-2019, you must request an extension of program.  Your Form I-20/DS-2019 expires on the indicated program end date, and failure to extend this document prior to the expiration will jeopardize your legal status.

You are eligible to apply for an extension of program if:

  • the end date on your current Form I-20/DS-2019 is a date in the future
  • you are maintaining legal status
  • the delay in completing program requirements has been caused by compelling academic reasons (such as a change of major/research topic or unexpected research problems) or medical reasons (documented by an appropriate licensed medical practitioner)

You are ineligible to apply for an extension of program if:

  • the end date on your current Form I-20/DS-2019 has passed
  • you have failed to maintain legal status
  • you are not making “normal progress” toward completion of your academic program
  • you are on academic probation or academic suspension
  • J-1 students only- The ISSS office has been notified that your waiver of INA 212(e) has been granted. The J-1 visitor is no longer considered eligible for an extension of program beyond the end date shown on the current Form DS-2019. 

Note for students in Continuing Dental Education (Rutgers Health) programs: International students that are admitted into a 3 or 5.5 month program that are requesting to extend (the same program) to either 5.5 and 11 months, must request an extension of the I-20 before the current program end date listed on the I-20. There cannot be a gap in between if it is the same program. If a student applies for a brand new program in a new department, then they can apply for a change of degree level as long as the new program begins within 5 months of the current program end date and the new program is the next available session.

Contact an international student adviser immediately to discuss your situation and learn about ways to regain good legal standing, if you are ineligible to extend your program due to any of the above mentioned reasons.

Extension of Program Procedure

1. Discuss your need to extend your program with your school/program, and an international student adviser, if necessary. Follow any required procedure with your school/program to extend your anticipated graduation date. 

2. Prepare your proof of financial support (Such as a bank statement, Rutgers assistantship offer letter, award letter, etc.

  • Financial support can be in any combination of assistantship, fellowship, personal funds or sponsor funds.
  • Funding documents cannot be more than six months old.
  • J-1 students and any students who have dependents must also show proof of required health insurance covering the period of extension and proof that you have paid the one-time SEVIS administration fee for each F-2 or J-2 dependent, if applicable.

3. Complete a Certification of Funds form. Get signature of sponsor(s) if submitting financial documents in anyone's name besides yours.

    4. Submit completed Extension of Program e-form request online through the RGlobal portal

    • This will require electronic certification from your Academic Official, so you will need to provide their name and email address in the e-form.
      • Undergraduate students: Your academic official is your academic dean/advisor.
      • Graduate students: Your academic official is your graduate program director.
      • RBHS students: Your academic official is your registrar.

    5. Receive new I-20/DS-2019 with extended end date after receiving an email saying it’s ready.

    Important Considerations

    • If you are working on campus, complete our online On-Campus Employment workshop and request a new International Payroll Form (via RGlobal portal) to give your on-campus employer, as they will likely need to complete a new Form I-9 for you.

    • If you are extending your program due to change of program (graduate students) or change of degree level, please see detailed instructions here.

    • If you are a J-1 student and are subject to the Two-year Home-country Physical Presence Requirement (known as 212e) you should carefully consider discussing the timing of your application and your current degree completion date with your international student adviser.