Extension of Program
If you will not complete your degree requirements and graduate by the end date noted on your Form I-20/DS-2019, you must request an extension of program. Your Form I-20/DS-2019 expires on the indicated program end date, and failure to extend this document prior to the expiration will jeopardize your legal status.
You are eligible to apply for an extension of program if:
- the end date on your current Form I-20/DS-2019 is a date in the future
- you are maintaining legal status
- the delay in completing program requirements has been caused by compelling academic reasons (such as a change of major/research topic or unexpected research problems) or medical reasons (documented by a licensed medical practitioner)
You are ineligible to apply for an extension of program if:
- the end date on your current Form I-20/DS-2019 has passed
- you have failed to maintain legal status
- you are not making “normal progress” toward completion of your academic program
- you are on academic probation or academic suspension
Contact an international student adviser immediately to discuss your situation and learn about ways to regain good legal standing, if you are ineligible to extend your program due to any of the above mentioned reasons.
Extension of Program Procedure
- Review this website and discuss your need to extend your program with your school/program, and an international student adviser, if necessary. Follow any required procedure with your school/program to extend your anticipated graduation date.
- Prepare application materials:
- Extension of Program form, completed by Undergraduate Academic Dean, Graduate Program Director or Registrar (for RBHS students)
- Certification of Funds form
- Proof of financial support (Financial support can be in any combination of assistantship, fellowship, personal funds or sponsor funds. Funding documents cannot be more than three months old)
- Proof of required health insurance covering the period of extension (for J-1 students and F-2 and J-2 dependents) and proof that you have paid the one-time SEVIS administration fee for each F-2 or J-2 dependent, if applicable.
- Copy of your current International Payroll Form, if you are working on campus.
- Submit completed extension of program application online through the RGlobal portal.
- Pick up new I-20/DS-2019 with extended end date, after receiving an email saying it’s ready.