Dependents and Family

Who is eligible to come to the United States as a dependent of a Rutgers international student or scholar? A dependent is a spouse or an unmarried child under 21 years old of a primary F-1 or J-1 visa holder. If you are such a dependent and you would like to visit for a significant period of time, you may enter the United States on an F-2 or J-2 visa and you will remain in valid status as long as the F-1 or J-1 visa holder is in legal status. If you wish to come to the United States for a shorter period of time (three months or less), we advise you to apply for a B-2 (tourist visa) instead.

It is important that you talk with your family to plan and prepare for your arrival. Please discuss any questions with your international student or scholar adviser.