INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION LEADER
Did you know that Rutgers University has more than 8,000 international students from more than 125 different countries? The International Student and Scholar Services office at Rutgers (ISSS) hosts orientation events before the start of each semester to welcome new international students and help them adjust to their new life at Rutgers. ISSS is looking for 25-40 outstanding Orientation Leaders (OLs) to help facilitate orientation activities at the beginning of each semester. You can find more information about our orientation here.
Do you remember your orientation week at Rutgers? If you attended orientation, you must remember orientation leaders helping you through a week full of activities and programs.
Now it's YOUR turn! We have begun planning our fall 2020 orientation program--a comprehensive introduction to the campus, the community, the U.S. higher education system, and American culture. The program enjoys a reputation for being indispensably helpful (and lots of fun!) for one big reason: student leaders make it so.
Fall 2020 New International Student Orientation will run from Monday, August 24 to Friday, August 28, 2020. The orientation leader (OL) training program is a required (and fun!) part of being an OL.
Orientation Leader (OL) Job Description
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are role models as well as sources of support and information for new international students. They play a major role in facilitating the adjustment of new students and their families to the Rutgers campus and community. They share accurate information about academic, personal, and social resources while working collaboratively with faculty, professional staff, and student staff from other areas on campus.
- Serve as a role model and resource to new international students and their families during orientation
- Assist in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of International Student Orientation
- Facilitate sessions, presentations, activities, and campus tours for incoming students and family members
- Assisting in the preparation of orientation activities and materials
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services, building locations, and resources
- Assisting new students with all essential tasks at the start of the semester – answering questions about registration, getting an RUID card, completing the legal check-in process, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the ISSS staff
Qualifications and Qualities
We are looking for a diverse group of undergraduate students who possess the following qualities:
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Campus or community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
- Punctual and dependable
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to think on your feet
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Desire to be a leader and role-model, including on-campus, online and in the community
- Desire to assist new students in their transition to Rutgers
Orientation Leader (OL) Requirements, Time Commitment, and Training Program
- Availability and assistance throughout the New International Student Orientation program, August 24 to August 28, 2020.
- Attendance at all orientation leader training sessions (once per month, 2-3 hours each time) from April to August. While it is highly recommended that OLs attend all meetings, attending a minimum of 6 (including the first and last meeting) is mandatory.
- Participation in orientation related projects and accounting for preparation time towards these projects outside of the OL training meetings.
Tentative Meeting Dates
*1-2 more meetings may be added to this schedule
*Dates will be finalized in April/May based on availability of trainers and facilities
- Friday, April 17, 5pm-7:00pm (ALL MUST ATTEND – first meeting)
- Friday, May 15, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Friday, June 19, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Friday, July 17, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Friday, August 7, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Friday, August 14, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Monday, August 17 – Friday, August 21: Making student orientation packets. Schedule will be developed and distributed later.
- Sunday, August 23 (ALL MUST ATTEND – final meeting prior to orientation)
Benefits of being an Orientation Leader
- Receive a stipend
- Receive training on leadership skills, team building facilitation, group dynamics, and communication skills
- Gain public speaking and team building experience
- A great resume builder
- Working with Rutgers Global staff and other university administrators
- Undergraduates with on-campus housing for Fall 2020 can move in on August 23
- An OL shirt, meals during training meetings and during orientation week
- Raffled prizes including Amazon gift card, trips, and more
- Forming lifelong friendships, and…
- Lots of fun!
Attend one of the two Information Sessions:
- Wednesday, February 12, 3-4pm, Academic Building, Room 2400, CAC
- Tuesday, February 25, 3-4pm, Academic Building, Room 2160, CAC
- Submit an online application between now to March 2.
- Once we review all the applications, we will invite qualified candidates for an in-person interview. Interviews will be held March 2 to March 27
- OL position selection will be announced by March 31.
- First training meeting is on April 17!
If you are selected as an OL you may also apply to be an orientation assistant! Orientation assistant is a paid position at the Rutgers Global- International Student and Scholar Services. Employment will be from late-May until August 25. Selected individuals will be working at Rutgers Global for 8-10 hours/week.
If you want to learn more about the selection process or the volunteer and orientation assistant positions before submitting the International Student Orientation Leader Application, feel free to email Jinling Quan (firstname.lastname@example.org).We hope you will join us!