INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION LEADER
Did you know that Rutgers University has more than 8,000 international students from more than 125 different countries? The International Student and Scholar Services office at Rutgers (ISSS) hosts orientation events before the start of each semester to welcome new international students and help them adjust to their new life at Rutgers. Every year we look for 20-25 outstanding Orientation Leaders (OLs) to help facilitate orientation activities at the beginning of each semester. You can find more information about the orientation program here.
Do you remember your orientation week at Rutgers? If you attended orientation, you must remember orientation leaders helping you through a week full of activities and programs.
Now it's YOUR turn! Orientation is a comprehensive introduction to the campus, the community, the U.S. higher education system, and American culture. The program enjoys a reputation for being indispensably helpful (and lots of fun!) for one big reason: student leaders make it so. The orientation leader (OL) training program is a mandatory (and fun!) part of being an OL.
Application for the ISO Orientation Leader Summer 2022 position is now OPEN until February 28, 11:59pm - Apply HERE!
Fall 2022 New International Student Orientation will begin on Monday, August 29, 2022. There will be additional virtual events during the summer as well. The orientation leader (OL) training program is a required (and fun!) part of being an OL.
Join us for an Information Session (strongly recommended)
Option 1 (Virtual) - Monday, February 7, 10am-11am via Zoom
Join Zoom Meeting: https://rutgers.zoom.us/j/8727491338?pwd=OFByTkR1dVdwc2ZMeUczVHBlZEVDdz09
Meeting ID: 872 749 1338
Option 2 (In-Person) - Tuesday February 15, 4:30pm-5:30pm in person
College Avenue Student Center Multipurpose Room
Application is now open until February 28, 11:59pm- Apply HERE
Zoom Interviews: Monday, March 21, 2022 – Thursday, March 31,2022
First Meeting: mid-April (date and details TBD)
Orientation Leader (OL) Job Description
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are role models as well as sources of support and information for new international students. They play a major role in facilitating the adjustment of new students and their families to the Rutgers campus and community. They share accurate information about academic, personal, and social resources while working collaboratively with faculty, professional staff, and student staff from other areas on campus.
- Serve as a role model and resource to new international students and their families during orientation
- Assist in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of International Student Orientation
- Facilitate sessions, presentations, activities, and campus tours for incoming students and family members
- Assisting in the preparation of orientation activities and materials
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services, building locations, and resources
- Assisting new students with all essential tasks at the start of the semester – answering questions about registration, getting an RUID card, completing the legal check-in process, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the ISSS staff
Qualifications and Qualities
We are looking for a diverse group of undergraduate students who possess the following qualities:
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Campus or community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
- Punctual and dependable
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to think on your feet
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Desire to be a leader and role-model, including on-campus, online and in the community
- Desire to assist new students in their transition to Rutgers
Orientation Leader (OL) Requirements, Time Commitment, and Training Program
- Availability and assistance throughout the New International Student Orientation program
- Attendance at all orientation leader training sessions (once per month, 2-3 hours each time) from April to August. While it is highly recommended that OLs attend all meetings, attending a minimum of 6 (including the first and last meeting) is mandatory.
- Participation in orientation related projects and accounting for preparation time towards these projects outside of the OL training meetings.
Benefits of being an Orientation Leader
- Receive a stipend
- Receive training on leadership skills, team building facilitation, group dynamics, and communication skills
- Gain public speaking and team building experience
- A great resume builder
- Working with Rutgers Global staff and other university administrators
- An OL shirt, meals during training meetings and during orientation week
- Raffle prizes including Amazon gift card, and more
- Forming lifelong friendships, and…
- Lots of fun!
If you are selected as an OL you may also apply to be an orientation assistant! Orientation assistant is a paid position at the Rutgers Global- International Student and Scholar Services. Employment will be from late-May through the beginning of orientation. Selected individuals will be working at Rutgers Global for 8-10 hours/week.
If you want to learn more about the selection process or the volunteer and orientation assistant positions before submitting the International Student Orientation Leader Application, feel free to email Jinling Quan (email@example.com).We hope you will join us!