Frequently Asked Questions

Rutgers Students Interested in Study Abroad +

  1. Will I fall behind or have to stay an extra semester if I study abroad?

    If you plan well, you can take courses abroad that will keep you on track academically. Each course that you take on a Rutgers Global–Study Abroad program will count toward your graduation total, but you will have to consult with advisors from academic departments so that they can determine whether or not the course(s) will satisfy specific requirements. Then your advisors will note in your file (or in Degree Navigator) that a certain course you took while abroad is to fulfill a certain requirement for your major, minor, or general education 
    requirements. The grades you receive will also factor into your cumulative Grade Point Average.

  2. Is study abroad more expensive than Rutgers?

    Each program has a different cost, which can be more or less than Rutgers. You will find the program costs on the individual program pages on this site. If you are not certain of your program cost, please contact our office. You can pay for study abroad in a number of ways, including financial aid, personal funding, family contributions, and scholarships. Explore scholarships here.


  3. Is it safe to study abroad? My parents are worried.

    The safety and well-being of Rutgers students abroad is Rutgers Global's top priority. Once admitted to a study abroad program, we provide students with in-depth information on program location, instructions for how to prepare for a program and its locale, and tips and suggestions for how to remain safe and healthy throughout the study abroad experience.

  4. I’d like to talk with other students who have studied abroad before I make a decision. How can I connect with them?

    Global ambassadors are former study abroad students who volunteer their time to advise students and promote study abroad on-campus. They are experts on their individual study abroad programs and can you give you the student perspective of studying abroad, including tips on housing, classes, the host city, budgeting, travel and the local people. You will find the Global Ambassadors at study abroad around campus, in your dorms, and at student organization events. 

  5. I’m going abroad next semester. What do you I do about my housing?

    Once you have received official word of your acceptance from Rutgers Global–Study Abroad and your host institution, you should go ahead and cancel your housing and meal plan. This can be done by submitting your letter of acceptance to Housing and Residence Life and Dining Services. 

  6. What travel documents do I need before I go abroad?

    A valid passport is required to enter and exit foreign countries. A passport should be obtained or renewed at least four months prior to your program’s departure. If you already have a passport, do make sure that it is valid at least 6 months after your program’s end date. The process for applying or renewing a passport can take up to 8 to 12 weeks to complete and there is a fee for this service. Many countries require study abroad students to also obtain a student visa or residence permit. More information about this process, and whether or not your host country requires such documentation, will be available under your Applicant homepage once you have been accepted into your program.

  7. I’m back from study abroad, now what?

    You can share your stories and help advise prospective study abroad students by applying to become a global ambassador. Global ambassadors volunteer to engage their peers in the promotion and outreach of study abroad opportunities. Contact Lloyd Pearson at to apply.

  8. How should I include my study abroad experience on my resume?

    The skills you gained while studying abroad will certainly look great on your resume, but you should also think about how you can use your experience in an interview setting. Students are encouraged to visit Career Services to discuss the ways they can use their study abroad to gain a professional edge.

For New International Students +

1. What is an I-20 or a DS-2019?

I-20 is the Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 students and DS-2019 is the Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 students. You will need either the I-20 or DS-2019 from Rutgers before you can apply for a U.S. visa. In addition, you should keep these documents in a safe place and carry them with you whenever you travel domestically or internationally.

2.  When will I receive an I-20 or a DS-2019?

You will receive an I-20 or DS-2019 from either Rutgers Graduate Admissions or Undergraduate Admissions after you have submitted all the necessary documents to the university.

3. Can my dependents come with me to the U.S.?

Yes, your dependents (spouse or children) can accompany you to the U.S. on a dependent visa (F-2 or J-2) if they choose to stay with you through the duration of your study. Additional proof of funding is required if you would like to bring your depends with you. A minimum of an additional $5000 is necessary for your spouse, and $4000 for each accompanying child. Please note that F-2 spouses are not permitted to work in the United States, but they may enroll in classes part time in an academic program. J-2 dependents may apply to USCIS for employment authorization only if the income they earn will not go to the support of the J-1 principal visa holder. In addition, dependents are required to have comprehensive health insurance coverage during their entire stay in the U.S.

4. How do I apply for a visa?

The basic U.S. visa application for most visa classifications is Form DS-160; some F-1 and J-1 visa applicants may be required to complete additional forms (DS-157 and/or DS-158). The DS-160 visa application form is available online at We recommend you read the Frequently Asked Questions on the DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application page prior to completing the online visa application.

There is generally an application fee for a U.S. visa. For information on fees that may apply to you, go to the website of the U.S. consulate at which you’ll apply for your visa. All U.S. consulate websites are accessible by link from:

Most F-1 and J-1 visa applicants will be required to have a personal interview at the U.S. consulate. Waiting times for these interviews vary, depending on the specific consulate and time of year. For details on average visa waiting times at U.S. consulates throughout the world, go to

5. Where can I register for on-campus housing arrangements?

Housing assignments are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Undergraduate students can register for on-campus housing through the Enrollment Pathway. Residence halls are typically closed during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring break, but there are now several halls that remain open during school breaks, and students who will need housing during breaks should indicate this in the designated area on the housing application.

For graduate students, housing information is noted in the graduate admissions packet sent to international students, but you may contact the housing department directly at 55 Bevier Road, Busch Campus, in Piscataway, and access information online at  

6. I am currently in the U.S. in a different status other than F-1 and J-1, how can I change my status?

Students with a nonimmigrant status other than F-1 or J-1 who wish to change to one of these classifications should contact us at as soon as you receive your I-20/DS-2019 from Rutgers. We will then provide instructions and assistance in applying for a change of status. For more information, see Change of Status from F-1 to J-1 on the International Students and Scholars section of our site.

7. I am transferring in from a different institution in the United States. How do I transfer my record?

Students already residing in the United States on F-1 visas must complete the procedure outlined below to maintain F-1 status and transfer to Rutgers. Please note that all changes from one school to another in the United States or if you are a Rutgers undergraduate becoming a graduate student—regardless of whether the you travel outside the United States—between schools are designed as “transfers.”

  • Notify your international student adviser of your intention to enroll at Rutgers  and follow the transfer-out procedure at your current institution. This will entail a “transfer out” of your SEVIS record to Rutgers “University-New Brunswick-Grad”, transfer school code: NEW214F00147000, with a specific release date. (Please alert your adviser that Rutgers has different SEVIS listings, and that they must select the right one for the transfer to occur correctly.)
  • Ask the adviser to complete a Rutgers International Student Advisors Report form and send it to Graduate Admissions.
  • You will be issued a “transfer pending” Rutgers I-20 to “check in” at Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services no later than the end of the first two weeks of classes.
  • After you have registered for classes, your SEVIS record will be updated noting “transfer complete”, and you will be issued another I-20 for “continued attendance”. If you fail to register for classes prior to the last day of Rutgers “drop/add period” you will fall “out of status” with the USCIS.


8. What should I pack and bring to the U.S.?

For students living on campus, a comprehensive list of what you should bring to your assigned space is here-

In addition to these items, you should make sure that you have access to money. If you do not have an ATM card that is able to obtain cash from a U.S. cash machine, it is best to exchange some of your own currency for U. S. dollars before you leave home. The university and local businesses accept only U.S. dollars. When you arrive in the U.S., you should have sufficient funds to cover your expenses for several weeks, but you should not travel with large amounts of cash to avoid the risk of possible loss or theft. We also recommend that you bring a credit card that works internationally.

9. How do I get to campus after I land?

If you live on campus, Rutgers has partnered with a local ground transportation service to transport you from you arrival airport (Newark, JFK, LaGuardia or Philadelphia) to our New Brunswick campus. You may sign up for such service through your online housing portal. For any questions, please contact

10. Where do I check in with Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services?

All F-1 and J-1 students and their dependents are required to check in with Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services immediately upon arrival. To check-in electronically, make sure you login to RGlobal with your NetID and password and upload the biographical and F-1 or J-1 visa page on your passport.

11. How do I update my address, phone number, and email?

As an F-1 or J-1 student, you must update your physical address, email, and phone number whenever changes happen. You can update such information on your MyRutgers portal. à click Address à enter address in “Local Address” and/or cell phone number in “Home Phone,” and enter a non-Rutgers email address as required.

If you live on campus or have a PO box address (LPO, BPO, CPO, etc.), do not use the PO box address. Instead, simply type in the residence halls you live in and your room number. Please do not give your department’s address.

If you have an alternate U.S. address that is not at the university, such as a relative’s address, you may enter it in the “Home Address” portion of the screen.

12. When and where do I get my Rutgers University ID (RU Connection) Card?

You are eligible for a Rutgers ID card once you have registered for classes. You may receive an RU Connection card through one of the locations here:

13. How do I register for classes?

Undergraduate students must complete placement exams before you are eligible to register for any classes. Depending on the specific school you are in, you may be automatically registered for the first semester by your school. Please contact your school if you have any questions regarding registration.

If you are a graduate student, we recommend you work with your individual academic departments for course registration.

14. How do I get a social security number (SSN)?

Newly arrived F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to apply for an SSN if you have been in the United States for 10 days or more, and if you have been offered an on-campus employment or a fellowship. While we understand that SSNs may be needed in procedures like applying for a credit card, signing up for a cell phone plan, etc., please note that SSNs are designed for tax purposes for job payments and those procedures can be possible without an SSN.

For continuing students, you may apply for an SSN if you have a paid employment off-campus through Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Academic Training.

15. How and when should I pay my term bill?

Deadlines for term bills payment may vary depending on each student. You may check the deadline of your term bill through the Rutgers Student Accounting. You may pay your term bills in a variety of ways at Students may also use Flywire, a vendor authorized by Rutgers to facilitate international payments.

16. What is International Student Orientation (ISO)?

Every fall and spring semester, Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services conducts a mandatory and comprehensive orientation for new international students. In the fall, it is a weeklong, conference run program that allows students to fulfill legal immigration-related obligations, meet with their academic units, engage in various fun social activities, and learn all about Rutgers University.

17. What is the cost for the ISO?

The cost of the ISO will automatically be billed to your student term bill as New Student Fee. 

18. How do I register for ISO?

Undergraduate students should register for the ISO through Enrollment Pathway. Registration is not required for graduate students. Please note that the program is mandatory for all new incoming international students (including transfer students).

19. Where will I stay during orientation week?

While university residence halls officially open on in September, those undergraduate students who will be living on-campus may move into their assigned on-campus housing spaces at the end of August. This is a special accommodation so students can participate in the orientation program.

20. What should I bring to ISO?

You will receive an orientation packet at the Welcome Event on the first day of the ISO. Make sure you have something to take notes in throughout orientation week (pen and notebook, electronic devices, etc). In addition, please make sure you have your passport, I-20/DS-2019, and I-94 (or copies of these) with you to check-in online through the RGlobal portal.

21. Who are the ISO Volunteers?

The ISO Volunteers are a selected team of current students who help out with all the activities during orientation week. They are your first point of contact for orientation and they should be able to help you with any general questions about the program as well as Rutgers. If you have any specific legal or administrative questions, please direct them to the international student and scholar services staff at Rutgers Global.

22. Does Rutgers Global serve international students and scholars at all university locations?

While Rutgers Global is a universitywide unit that supports all international students and scholars on all university locations; the offices that provide one-on-one services to the international population varies on each campus.

Rutgers-New Brunswick and Rutgers Biological and Health Sciences (RBHS) at New Brunswick/Piscataway
Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services

Rutgers–New Brunswick and New Brunswick/Piscataway RBHS international students:
Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services
180 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Rutgers–New Brunswick and New Brunswick/Piscataway RBHS international faculty/scholars:
Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services
335 George St., 3rd Floor, Suite 3600, New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Rutgers Biological and Health Sciences (RBHS) at Newark
Newark RBHS international faculty/scholars and students:
Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services
65 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ 07102

Office of International Student and J-1 Scholar Services (OISS)
175 University Avenue, 216, Conklin Hall, Newark

Faculty of Arts and Sciences–Newark (FASN) Dean's Office
360 MLK Jr. Blvd, Suite 325
Serves international faculty and scholars regarding H-1B visas and permanent residency applications

Office of International Students (OIS)
215 N. 3rd Street, Suite 112, Camden, NJ 08201

23. I am entering Rutgers as a matriculating international student. Which visa do I need to apply for and which forms do I need to submit?

Once accepted into a degree program at Rutgers, you will need to apply for either an F-1 or J-1 visa. The determination of the visa category will be made based on several factors including your source of funding and your visa sponsoring agency.

The majority of our degree seeking students are here on F-1 status; we also have some students in J-1 status. You will be informed of this decision by the graduate or undergraduate admissions office and will be asked to provide proof of funding and other documents needed to issue your immigration document/visa eligibility certificate: a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student) or a DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-1 Status). Once you have your Certificate of Eligibility, you can apply for the appropriate visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. For more information on the visa application process, please visit the Department of Homeland Security’s Study in the States.

24. I am interested in spending a short time at Rutgers in a training program. What are my options?

Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services are able to sponsor a training program on a J-1 visa in the subcategory “Student Intern”. If you are an undergraduate or graduate student in your home country and would like to participate in a research or project based internship at Rutgers, you can reach out to the appropriate Rutgers department or unit for more details. All J-1 student interns must complete the Intern Verification form to confirm your eligibility.

Student internships can last between one and 12 months and can either be paid or unpaid. Student interns can with any funding source, or combination of sources, including 100 percent personal funding.

Evaluation forms must be completed by the student intern and sponsoring professor before the end of the internship period.

25. I am entering Rutgers as a short-term international student. Which visa do I need to apply for and which forms do I need to submit?

Depending on the program details, students would apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa. Both of these visa categories support a non-degree program option at Rutgers. A student adviser would be able to determine with most appropriate visa category for the particular program.

For more details on which forms to submit, please contact the short-term non-degree international student adviser, Carissa McCarthy (at for further guidance.

26. I have received an invitation letter from a Rutgers department to be a visiting scholar. How can I start the visa process and what are my next steps?

Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services works closely with departmental administrators to determine the appropriate visa category. Once the right visa category has been determined, your host department will provide information on how to request the right documents for your visa type. The center staff will work with your departmental administrator to ensure that the process goes smoothly.

27. I am coming to Rutgers as an international student or scholar, and I am bringing my family with me. How can I ensure their arrival to and residence in the United States for the duration of my time at Rutgers?

If you are looking to bring your spouse and/or children with you to the United States, the first step is to determine what dependent visa status they will be coming on. Please attend a dependent’s workshop offered by Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services to learn more about the process.

In most cases, the student will need to apply for an immigration document for their dependents, show adequate additional funding, and proof of insurance coverage. If you as the primary visa holder are on F-1 visa status, then your dependents will need to apply for F-2 visa. If you as the primary visa holder (student or scholar) are on J-1 visa status, your dependents will need to apply for J-2 visa.

Once the I-20 for the dependent F-2 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-2 dependent) or the DS-2019 for the dependent J-2 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-2 dependent) is issued, your dependents can then apply for the appropriate visa at a U.S. Embassy or apply with the USCIS for a change of status within the United States (if they are already here in some other nonimmigrant status and eligible for a change of status).

28. What about housing for me and my family?

Rutgers–New Brunswick offers two-bedroom apartments on Busch campus for students with families. For more information, visit the Family Housing website.

29. I am a Rutgers staff or faculty member, and I’d like to get involved with the annual International Student Orientation. How can I do so?

The International Student Orientation program is run by Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services and is designed to help incoming students adjust to life in the United States and at Rutgers. For more information about the program please visit our website at:

We always welcome cross-campus partnerships to enrich the quality of our program and are always looking for ways to make it most effective, enjoyable, and memorable for our incoming international students.

30. I am an international student or scholar, and I’d like to get involved with social and academic events on campus. What are my options?

Rutgers Global hosts a variety of international programming that you can participate in throughout the year. 

Rutgers Global–Programs offers dozens of free, on-campus global programs and events throughout the academic year. For a full event listing, see our event calendar.

If you are a student and interested in getting involved on campus, make sure to visit getInolved for a list of different activities as well as student organizations on campus!

For Rutgers International Students and Scholars: U.S. Taxes +

1. How is the U.S. income tax system structured?

During the course of a calendar year, employers are required to withhold estimated taxes from their employees' paychecks and give those estimated withholding dollars to the IRS. Sometime between January 1 and April 15 of the following year, every individual is required to file a tax return with the IRS; the tax return compares the estimated amount withheld by the employer against the actual amount of tax owed. If an employer withheld more in estimated taxes than what the employee actually owes, the employee will get a tax refund. If the employer withheld too little, the employee will need to pay additional taxes. 

2. How does my employer estimate how much to withhold from my paycheck?

Employers are required to have all employees complete and submit a Form W 4 when they start working. The way the employee completes the form will determine how much the employer will withhold on an estimated basis. Nonresident taxpayers do not have many choices in completing Form W-4, however. The way a nonresident completes Form W-4 must comply with revenue codes that are different from the printed instructions on the Form W-4 itself. (Be careful: although the instructions on the W-4 do not specify this, the printed instructions on the W-4 form apply to resident taxpayers only!) IRS Publication 519 explains more about estimated withholding and the Form W-4 for nonresident taxpayers. 

3. What about tax treaties? Doesn't a tax treaty between my country and the U.S. mean I don't have to pay taxes here?

Not necessarily. Although certain countries have tax treaties with the U.S., the existence of a tax treaty with your country does not automatically exempt you from paying U.S. taxes. A treaty might provide a tax exemption for research scholars from a certain country, but not for students from that country; or it might provide a full exemption for students with fellowships but only a partial exemption for students with assistantships. Some treaties that might have exempted you last year might not exempt you this year. IRS Publication 901 provides a list of treaties and their specific provisions, but interpreting treaties is a complex matter, and no one at Rutgers University is qualified to interpret treaties for you.

Treaties will sometimes allow for partial or even full exemption from paying federal taxes, and in some cases will even permit you to request your employer not to withhold your taxes, but unless you are absolutely certain that a particular treaty applies to you, you are safer to let your employer withhold your taxes at the non-treaty rate, and then when filing your tax return the following year, to make your treaty claim directly to the IRS. At that time, if you are eligible for the treaty benefit the IRS will give you a refund. But if you have asked your employer not to withhold because you thought a treaty applied to you, and then it turns out that you are NOT eligible to claim the treaty, you will have to pay a penalty to the IRS. If you are certain that a tax treaty exemption is available to you, and if you hold a job at Rutgers that comes with benefits (for example, a post doc position, or a TA or GA), you must file duplicate originals of Form 8843 with the Payroll Office along with duplicate copies of a statement for the specific section of your country's treaty that you believe applies to you. (These statements are available at Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services.)

If you believe you are eligible to claim a treaty, but your employment at Rutgers is not one with benefits, Rutgers will withhold your estimated taxes at a non-treaty rate and you will have to make your treaty claim directly to the IRS with Form 8843 and the required statement.

4. Do I really have to file tax returns and pay taxes in the U.S.? What will happen if I just don't file any tax returns?

Federal law requires you to file tax returns; if you fail to do so, you are out of compliance with the law, which can result in serious legal difficulties with b oth the IRS and USCIS. Remember, if you earned income in the U.S., your employer has already turned over your withholding dollars to the IRS, so the IRS already knows you had income.

5. A lot of IRS publications and forms refer to "the Substantial Presence Test." What is it, and how do I know if it applies to me?

The Substantial Presence Test is a formula the IRS uses to determine when a nonimmigrant visa holder becomes a resident for tax purposes. J-1 researchers and scholars are subject to the substantial presence test after two years, and F-1 and J-1 students after five years. 

6. I read that if the Substantial Presence Test doesn't apply to me, I'm an "exempt individual." Why do I have to pay taxes if I'm "exempt?"

This is a point of great confusion resulting from the IRS's use of the word "exempt" to have different meanings in different contexts. An "exempt individual" in the context of the Substantial Presence Test only means that the person does not need to use the Substantial Presence Test to determine his or her tax status, i.e., she or he is "exempt from using the Substantial Presence Test". This does NOT mean the person is exempt from filing tax forms and/or exempt from paying taxes, however.

7. What about Social Security Taxes? Do I have to pay these taxes, too?

The obligation to pay Social Security (FICA) tax correlates directly with whether you are a resident or nonresident for federal tax purposes. If you are a nonresident F-1 or J-1 for federal tax purposes, you do not have to pay FICA. Employers should not withhold FICA taxes from your paycheck if you are not required to pay this tax. Once you become a resident taxpayer, however, your obligation to pay FICA taxes begins, and your employer must begin to withhold for FICA as well.

8. I worked last summer on OPT, and my employer withheld FICA tax from my paycheck. However, I was only in my third year in the U.S. as an F-1 student, so I was a nonresident for federal tax purposes and shouldn't have had FICA taxes withheld! Is there anything I can do about this?

You can try to get a refund from your employer. (Show your employer IRS Publication 515 if they do not know the regulations.) If your employer will not give you a refund on erroneous FICA withholding, you can file IRS Form 843 directly with the IRS and request a refund on your FICA withholding.

9. What documents do I need before I begin to fill out my tax forms?

Everyone who files a tax return must have a Form W 2 from your employer OR a Form 1042-S (for students with fellowships or scholarships), or both. The W 2 is the legal document showing how much you earned and, of that, how much tax actually was withheld. The 1042-S is the legal document showing the dollar amount of your fellowship or scholarship, and other information required for tax filing. Your employer or fellowship granting organization is required by law to provide you with your W-2 and/or 1042-S. If you have not received your W-2 and/or 1042-S by early to mid-February, tell your department or contact the Office of Payroll.

In addition, when you sit down to do your tax forms, you should also have the following items:

  • your I-94 

  • your passport 

  • your Form I-20 (for F-1s) or your Form DS-2019 (for J-1s) 

  • your social security number (or, alternatively, your ITIN ) 

  • your current U.S. address 

  • your permanent foreign address 

  • address of academic institution or visa sponsor 

  • any fellowship or scholarship grant letters you have received from your academic institution or sponsor 

10. I am an F-1 student who did not work in the U.S. at all last year; my parents abroad funded me completely. Do I have to file U.S. tax returns for that year?

Although you do NOT need to file a 1040NR, all F-1 and J-1 students and scholars and all F-2 and J-2 dependents are required to file Form 8843 with the IRS, even if you had no income in the U.S., by June 15.

11. Is my Teaching Assistantship (or Graduate Assistantship) considered to be employment for federal tax purposes?

Yes, but only the stipend is taxable income; the tuition remission part of your assistantship is not taxable for federal tax purposes, though it may be for state tax purposes.

12. How can I contact the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Phone: 1 800 829 1040 [information]  
Phone: 1 800 829 3676 [forms and publications]

For Dependents of Rutgers International Students and Scholars +

1. How long does it take to receive an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for a spouse or child dependent?

Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services will process and issue the status document for your spouse or child within two weeks of receiving the completed request. 

2. I am a spouse or child dependent. What if I am already in the United States on a different visa?

If an eligible dependent (spouse or child under 21 years old) is currently in the United States on a visa status other than F-2 or J-2, you may choose to change the visa status by applying for an F-2 or J-2 visa. However, please note that they may need to apply for a change of status with USCIS. Please make an appointment with an international student or scholar adviser at Rutgers Global to find out what you'll need to do in your specific situation.

3. What if I am not married yet?

If you are not married yet but have plans to marry, we can still issue the I-20 or DS-2019. However, you will need to show a marriage certificate to the visa officer at a U.S. consulate in your country when you apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa.

4. What is a child dependent turns 21 while they are on F-2 or J-2 status?

A child dependent who is expected to reach his or her 21st birthday while they are in the United States will need to either apply to change to an independent visa status (such as an F-1 or J-1 status) or leave the United States and return home before they turn 21.

5. I am a spouse coming on an F-2 visa with an international student or scholar at Rutgers. Can I study full-time while I am here? 

We recommend you think carefully about the purpsoe of your visit to the United States. If you would like to study full time, you should apply for your own F-1 visa. If you want to study full-time after joining your spouse in the United States as an F-2 dependent, we recommend you apply for the F-1 visa abroad instead of applying for a change of status with USCIS.


For Rutgers Faculty/Staff and International Partners +

1. Who are Rutgers’ international partners?

Rutgers has hundreds of official agreements with international institutions. Please visit our partnerships database to find out about partnerships in specific regions or countries.

2. When is an memorandum of understanding (MOU)/international agreement necessary?

In some parts of the world, MOUs are required to formally initiate or demonstrate partnership between institutions. Sometimes, collaborations require the commitment of resources (financial or otherwise), exchange of intellectual property, or sustained mobility of students or faculty. In any of these instances, official MOUs are necessary to protect those directly involved, as well as the university as a whole. Any program involving mobility of undergraduate students must always be covered by an agreement.

3. How do I initiate an MOU?

Please refer to the Global Partnerships Overview page for more information.

4. I would like to host a delegation from an international partner university. How does Rutgers Global help me administer the visit?

Rutgers Global can provide guidance and direction to Rutgers schools or units that would like to host international visitors. Representatives from Rutgers Global may be able to meet with visitors hosted by schools and units if such meetings are requested by the visitor or by the school or unit.

5. I am a staff or faculty member at an international institution, and would like to initiate a partnership with Rutgers. How can Rutgers Global help me to get started?

Rutgers Global are a service unit within the university that support Rutgers faculty, therefore partnerships are rarely initiated from within our office. We are always happy to connect our faculty with faculty from around the world, but we first encourage anyone interested in partnering with Rutgers to closely review the information available online for the department or school in which you are interested. Once it has been determined that there is strong potential for collaboration, feel free to contact us, and we will help to introduce you to colleagues.


For Rutgers Students/Faculty/Staff Interested in the Peace Corps +

1. What do Peace Corps Volunteers do?
Volunteers live and work in communities abroad, focusing on projects relating to six sector areas: agriculture, community economic development, education, environment, health, and youth in development.

2. How long is Peace Corps service?
Peace Corps assignments are typically 27 months (three months of training with two years of service). This is to allow Volunteers time to integrate and fully immerse themselves in the local culture.

3. Do I need a college degree?
Most opportunities require a four-year degree, though opportunities are available for individuals with a combination of relative job experience and education.

4. Do I need to speak a foreign language?
No, not necessarily. Language requirements vary by job opportunity, and any requirements will be listed in each job opening. Not all opportunities have a language requirement.

5. Do Peace Corps Volunteers get paid?
Volunteers receive a living allowance that allows you to live in a manner similar to the local people in your community. The Peace Corps also provides complete medical and dental care and covers the cost of transportation to and from your country of service. To assist with the transition back home, Volunteers who start service after October 1, 2016, are paid $9,450 (before taxes and requested allotment deductions) at the close of 27 months of service.

6. I have a question that's not listed here. Who do I contact for answers?
Check out our Peace Corps page here. Or email any time with questions about the Peace Corps.