Sponsoring Visiting Scholars and Research Students
Rutgers departments need to apply for a DS-2019 certificate of eligibility on behalf of the sponsored scholar or research student so they may apply for a J-1 visa. You will be asked to provide certain information about individuals making requests in the program, and you'll need to work with ISSS at Rutgers Global to ensure the smooth arrival of your sponsored scholars and research students. Below, you'll find steps to sponsor scholars and research students coming to Rutgers on a J-1 visa.
Steps to Sponsor an Exchange Visitor +
- Issue an invitation letter to the scholar or research student.
- To begin the DS-2019 request process, please contact us at email@example.com to request access to Sunapsis, our processing portal.
- After you have entered the scholar's email address, the scholar or research student will receive an automatic notification to login and upload documents such as a passport copy, resume, and more.
- Coordinate with ISSS to complete the process.
- Stay in touch with the scholar throughout the process and keep ISSS informed of the scholar's or research student's arrival date. It is recommended the scholar or research student arrives prior to their start date please be aware the scholar or research student may arrive up to 30 prior to the program start date, but must not arrive more than 30 days after the program start date.
- Assist the scholar or research student with ISSS check-in process through RGlobal if necessary and ensure that program objectives are being followed.