International scholars or student researchers will need to request a DS-2019 for their dependents so they may apply for J-2 visas to enter the United States or change status with USCIS. Please contact your international scholar adviser for details on how to request the DS-2019 for dependents of international scholars or student researchers and be prepared to submit the following to Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services via RGlobal:
- Copy of your passport, and, if applicable, your childrens' passports
- Bank statement, including proof of adequate funding for dependents
- Proof of health insurance for dependents
- International Record Maintenance Fee ($50 for spouse and $25 per child)
Once these materials have been submitted, you will receive DS-2019 documents for the visa applications. Then, they must either:
- Apply for a J-2 visa stamp at the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate in your country. Canadian citizens and Aruban citizens do not need to apply for a visa. Gain J-2 status through entry to the United States by presenting the dependent DS-2019, passport, and J-2 visa stamp (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the U.S. port of entry.
- You may also apply with USCIS to request a change of status in the United States instead—please discuss this with an international scholar adviser for more details.