International Scholars & Students
Medical care in the United States is expensive. At Rutgers, it is required for all staff, students, faculty, and scholars (and their families)—including international students, faculty, scholars, and their families—to have at least a minimum level of health insurance coverage. An insurance policy available for purchase through Rutgers meets all of the requirements listed below; however you may opt for alternate coverage that meets or exceeds these requirements.
Minimum Requirements for Health Insurance Coverage at Rutgers
- The alternate coverage is currently active and the student agrees to maintain the health insurance coverage throughout the current semester
- The plan offers unlimited coverage with no maximum dollar limit The plan must include a minimum of $25,000.00 for repatriation of remains and $50,000.00 for medical evacuation.
- Plan deductible does not exceed $500 out of network per policy year
- Plan provides coverage in the campus area for inpatient and outpatient medical care in the immediate campus area.
- Plan provides mental health benefits which include chemical and substance abuse treatments.
- Plan provides preventative care services which include, but are not limited to, annual physicals, gynecological exams, routine screenings and immunizations.
- Plan covers pre-existing conditions.
- Plan covers prescription drugs with no maximum dollar limit and a nationwide network of pharmacies. Plan must not be a reimbursement plan.
- Plan is provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States with a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number.
- Plan must pay medical providers directly for inpatient and outpatient care (must not be a reimbursement plan).
- The underwriting company must have a rating of either "A" or above by A.M. Best, "A-1" or above by Insurance Solvency International Ltd., "A -" or above by Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability, "B +" or above by Weiss Research, Inc.
Please note that Rutgers carries a policy that meets the Department of State’s requirement for $25,000.00 repatriation of remains coverage and $50,000.00 medical evacuation coverage. Anyone on Rutgers F-1, J-1, F-2, or J-2 sponsorship is automatically covered by that policy regardless of their enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
The Student Health Insurance Plans offer the level of coverage listed above. For questions, please contact insurance coordinator Eirinn Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.