Transfer Students

Welcome to Rutgers! If you are already in the U.S. on F-1 or J-1 status, you must complete a transfer of your immigration sponsorship before beginning a full-time program of study at Rutgers University. Follow the steps below to transfer your immigration sponsorship to pursue full-time study at Rutgers.

Step 1: Apply to Rutgers through either the appropriate office, either the Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions office, the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions, or the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) Admissions office.

Step 2: Inform the admissions office that you are an international student, and will need either an I-20 (for F-1 status) or a DS-2019 (for J-1 status).

Step 3: Once you are admitted to a full-time program at Rutgers, you must provide certification of funds and have your current school complete an "International Student Adviser's Report." You are eligible for transfer after you have submitted both of these documents to the correct admissions office.

For RBHS students:

  1. Submit this online form for our office to create a new international profile for you in our international student record database.
  2. Once you receive an email confirmation that your international profile is ready, submit the Request for Initial I-20 e-form group via the RGlobal portal.
  3. The advisor at your current school will need to complete a Transfer-In e-form for us. Once you submit the Immigration History e-form in the Request for Initial I-20 e-form group, they will receive an email with login credentials to complete this form.

Step 4: Contact the international services office of your current school and request that they transfer your SEVIS record to Rutgers. You will facilitate the transfer process and avoid any problems by providing the correct name of the school and campus that you will attend at Rutgers.

If you are currently an undergraduate student at Rutgers–New Brunswick (or are on OPT after earning an undergraduate degree from Rutgers–New Brunswick), and you have been admitted to a graduate program at Rutgers–New Brunswick, please follow the instructions on the Transferring Out of Rutgers page.

Step 5: Rutgers can issue you a new I-20 or DS-2019 only after your SEVIS record is transferred from your previous school and received by the correct school at Rutgers. You will then receive an I-20 or DS-2019 from Rutgers Admissions office (New Brunswick programs) or ISSS- RBHS (for RBHS programs) to facilitate your transfer. (The form should say "Transfer Pending" for F-1 students).

If you are an undergraduate student transferring to Rutgers-New Brunswick from either the Camden or Newark campuses, ISSS (New Brunswick) will issue your “Transfer Pending” I-20 once you are admitted to the New Brunswick campus.

If you are a graduate student transferring into a joint program with the Graduate School–New Brunswick (including the molecular biosciences umbrella program with Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences), OR if you are transferring to the School of Graduate Studies from either Camden or Newark, ISSS will issue your “Transfer Pending” I-20 once you are admitted through the specific program. Please contact us at (for New Brunswick programs) or (RBHS programs)for further assistance regarding these specific transfer situations.

Step 6: To complete your transfer process, you must complete an online check-in process in the RGLOBAL portal before classes begin. Failure to check in at the center and to register for a full course of study will terminate your immigration status.