Outstanding Professor or Researcher Requirements
Rutgers hiring departments may choose to sponsor tenured or tenure-track faculty as an Outstanding Professor or Researcher. This path can be used only if, since obtaining the doctorate degree, the employee has had at least three full years of work experience in his or her discipline and meets other regulatory criteria that defines eligibility. Research performed to meet doctoral degree requirements will usually not qualify toward the three years experience.
This process can be long and complex. For guidance, we suggest that you contact a faculty/scholar adviser in our office so that we may guide you through this process.
There are six categories that can define such an employee as an Outstanding Professor or Researcher.
- Receipt of major prizes or awards
- Membership in associations in the academic field that require outstanding achievements
- Materials written by others in professional publications about the candidate's work
- Participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or similar academic field
- Original scientific or scholarly research contributions
- Authorship of scholarly books or articles in scholarly journals with international circulation
Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services will ask you for evidence that the candidate meets four of the six categories above. We will advise you on the comprehensive set of documentation that you will need to provide in order to support the petition for the green card using the Outstanding Professor or Researcher pathway.