Visiting Rutgers/Graduation Invitation
If you wish to come to the United States to visit your student on a B-2 visitor visa, please follow the steps below. Please keep in mind the suggested procedure is for visitor applicants only.
1. Ask your student to write a letter (see template below) to the nonimmigrant visa officer in which the student should:
- Indicate the expected length of the visitor’s stay and a preferred arrival date
- Indicate pertinent biographical information of the visitors [e.g., name, relationship to the student, place (city and country) and date of birth]
- If the student wishes to add information regarding their income as evidence of their ability to support the visitor during his or her stay in the U.S., give all appropriate information in the "Additional information/comments" section. It is a good idea to provide supporting documentation for anything indicated in the application (letter from your department indicating that you have an assistantship, bank statement, etc.)
- Date and sign the form
2. Request a Certification of Enrollment or obtain other certification of full-time enrollment at Rutgers from the Registrar’s Office:
The following template in combination with proof of the student’s enrollment at Rutgers serves the same purpose as an individually typed letter. The applicant(s) should include all relevant documents in their visa application, and/or take the documents with them for the visa interview.
Students should type this letter separately and send to their family member(s).
I wish to invite the following family member/s to visit me in the United States for a period of ______months beginning __________.
Name Date of Birth City & Country of Birth Relationship
Thank you very much for your consideration.
Signature of Rutgers student or scholar
Printed name of Rutgers student or scholar