Call for Orientation Volunteers
Apply to be a Fall 2019 new International Student Orientation volunteer! (A great way to meet people, help new students, and have fun!)
Do you remember your first week at Rutgers? If you attended international student orientation you do! There were 50+ volunteers helping you through a week full of activities and programs, and these volunteers made your first week, as well as your ongoing adjustment to life at Rutgers, as easy and pleasant as possible!
Now it's YOUR turn to volunteer! We have begun planning our fall 2019 orientation program--a comprehensive introduction to the campus, the community, the U.S. higher education system, and American culture. The program enjoys a reputation for being indispensably helpful (and lots of fun!) for one big reason: student volunteers make it so. While this is an unpaid position, there is tremendous value to be gained from the experience.
Fall 2019 New International Student Orientation will run from Monday, August 26 to Friday, August 30, 2019. The volunteer training program is a required (and fun!) part of being a volunteer. Here are the photos from the 2018 orientation.
Volunteer Requirements, Time Commitments, and Training Program
- Availability and assistance throughout the New International Student Orientation program, August 26 to August 30, 2019.
- Attendance at all orientation volunteers training sessions (once per month, 2-3 hours each time) from April to August. While it is highly recommended that volunteers attend all meetings, attending a minimum of 6 (including the first and last meeting) is mandatory.
- Participation in orientation related projects and accounting for preparation time towards these projects outside of the volunteer meetings
Tentative Meeting Dates
*1-2 more meetings may be added to this schedule
*Dates will be finalized in April/May based on availability of trainers and facilities
- Friday, April 12, 5:00–7:00 p.m. (ALL MUST ATTEND – first meeting)
- Friday, May 17, 5:30–7:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 14, 5:30–7:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 19, 5:30–7:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 2, 5:30–7:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 16, 5:30–7:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 19–Friday, August 23: Making student orientation packets. Schedule will be developed and distributed later.
- Sunday, August 25 (ALL MUST ATTEND – final meeting prior to orientation)
Benefits of being a volunteer
- Gaining quality training for student leadership skills
- A great resume builder and excellent experience
- Working with Rutgers Global staff and other university administrators
- A volunteer shirt
- Undergraduates with on-campus housing for Fall 2019 can move in on August 25
- Meals during training meetings and during orientation week
- Raffled prizes including Amazon gift card, trips, and more
- Forming lifelong friendships, and…
- Lots of fun!
- Attend one of the two Volunteer Info Sessions:
- Friday, February 8 at 3:00–4:00 p.m., Livingston Student Center, Room 201B
- Friday, February 15 at 3:00–4:00 p.m., Livingston Student Center, Room 201B
- Submit an online application between now to March 1.
- Once we review all the applications, we will invite qualified candidates for an in-person interview. Interviews will be held February 19 to March 8.
- Volunteer position selection will be announced by March 31.
- First training meeting start April 12!
Orientation Assistants: If you are selected as an orientation volunteer, you may apply to be an orientation assistant! Orientation assistant is a paid position at the Rutgers Global- International Student and Scholar Services. Employment will be from late-May until August 25. Selected individuals will be working at Rutgers Global for 8-10 hours/week.
If you want to learn more about the selection process or the volunteer and orientation assistant positions before submitting the International Student Orientation Volunteer Application, feel free to email Lauren Tong (firstname.lastname@example.org). We hope you will join us!